It’s been a tradition to close our restaurant over July 4th. Actually its a few days before and after which gives the whole staff time to spend with their family and friends. So we wave goodbye from July 1 thru July 5. Note- Lunch Counter won’t reopen until Monday, July 9th.
Wonder what we cook while we vaca? I love this Chimichurri Sauce from Epicurious 2002. Recipe follows.
This recipe is an all-time favorite plus it’s super simple. Just pulse and leave on the counter. I’ve used it for years and generally, I serve it with flank steak, but the possibilities are endless. While on vacation dinner leftovers become breakfast, so chimichurri sauce and eggs are perfect. But here’s a few more ideas.
- toast a baguette and top with soft goat cheese, drizzle with chimi sauce
- roast or grill an assortment of veggies, (love carrots for this) serve with sauce
- use sauce as a dip for bread and/or grilled shrimp
- stir into warm rice, add chickpeas or your favorite canned bean (rinse the beans)
- drizzle over fresh tomatoes and romaine
- this sauce goes great with chicken! (doesn’t everything!)
- also great with any kind of fish
- Have halloumi? Get some! It’s the cheese you can grill or warm in the oven, and I love it with chimichurri sauce!
- toss with a short pasta like penne add mozzarella chunks and chorizo slices
- mix the scant leftover bit at the bottom of the bowl with mayo for a great sandwich spread
Chimichurri Sauce from Epicurious Oct 2002
•1 cup (packed) fresh Italian parsley
•1/2 cup olive oil (use a good one)
•1/3 cup red wine vinegar
•1/4 cup (packed) fresh cilantro
•2 garlic cloves, peeled
•3/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
•1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (this makes the dish and is the perfect amount)
•1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons of lemon zest (take it or leave it my addition here!)
Puree all ingredients in processor. Transfer to bowl. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature.)
Yep, that easy!